Prince also known as Prince Rogers Nelson, who mesmerized his fans with his inimitable and aesthetically rich style, died Thursday at his Paisley Park compound in the Minneapolis suburb of Chanhassen.
The 57-year-old singer was not in his best health for the last two months and was reported suffering from a bout of influenza.
As news of his passing spreads, here are some little-known facts about the cultural icon that was Prince.
1. Prince with his outlandish style of dressing had no paucity of nicknames and aliases. He was known as the Kid, Minneapolis Midget, Alexander Nevermind and Purple Purv. He was also known as skipper.
2. If you turn to Wikipedia for any doubts, Fans of the singer have created Princepedia a few years ago. It remains a popular resource for everything about Prince
3. When Price was toying with the idea of making “Purple Rain” he had asked Stevie Nicks to write the lyrics. However she developed cold feet and so Prince had it his way and “Purple Rain” was born.
4. Despite his diminutive and small stature at just 5’2, Prince was a gifted basketball player and even played once for the best school teams in the Minnesota state.
5. Prince was a perfectionist and once hired a crane to lift a baby grand piano up through the window of London’s Chelsea Harbor Hotel to practice. There was no other way of getting the baby grand piano up the stairs of the Hotel.
6. “Purple Rain” was 11 minutes long before a verse and a chorus which was obnoxious and inappropriate was deleted.
7. The week of July 27, 1984, was an epoch-making day when Prince reached the top of both the film box office, single and albums charts, with his film ‘Purple Rain’ and ‘When Doves Cry’ respectively
8. Prince wrote over 600 tracks which are more than The Beatles
9. Prince played guitar on Madonna’s ‘Like a Prayer’?
10. When John Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980, Prince home was only a few blocks away